If a simple seed gets just what it needs,

Then a redwood tree can grow,
Up to a hundred feet for the world to see,
And endure the sleet and the snow.

But if my whole life,
Was wrapped in price,
I wonder what the tag would show.
‘Cuz every time I’m close to the Holy Ghost,
I always seem to let her go.

-The Classic Crime

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Love

At Conference Robert Hales spoke of his desire to buy extravagant gifts for his wife as an expression of his love and appreciation for her. Reflecting on his wife's response to the proposal, Hales realized his desire was a selfish one- he wanted to show his love for her more than give her the things she valued most. I began to evaluate this in regards to the love I have for my best friend. In addition to saving my life, my best friend is amazing and fun and I love him to death and I love being with him and around him- faults and everything. This deep love has stirred an unsettling feeling where I want to make him happy and I want to be special in his life and hold a place in his heart. Hales's talk made me realize the selfish aspects of loving my best friend in this way. If I truly love him, even in the way Christ loves us, I will only pray and wish for my best friend's happiness, I won't desire to be the one that fulfills him in all the ways he deserves to be fulfilled and the one who always makes him happy.


 

2 comments:

Hidden said...

You DO hold a place in my heart. Forever and always.

Beck said...

I, too, was touched by Elder Hales example of gift-giving to his wife being selfish in nature. How many times have I given fancy gifts to my wife, yes, because I love her, but to make up for all the shortcomings I feel as she copes with being married to a gay man. The real motive is to gain acceptance of her and to relieve the guilt, and to make an impression on others that I am in love with my wife - all in hopes of overcompensating for my shortcomings as a husband! :(

All selfish motives...