If a simple seed gets just what it needs,

Then a redwood tree can grow,
Up to a hundred feet for the world to see,
And endure the sleet and the snow.

But if my whole life,
Was wrapped in price,
I wonder what the tag would show.
‘Cuz every time I’m close to the Holy Ghost,
I always seem to let her go.

-The Classic Crime

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

“It’s a Step in the Right Direction After All”

(I wrote this Sat or Sunday, I just didn't have internet access to post it)

Every night I pray for my best friend and some nights that is the only thing I have the strength or desire to pray for. Generally I ask the Lord to comfort and assistant him and I ask to be able to help him in every way possible. Last night I as I was about to solicit, "please let me be everything that my best friend needs," I was struck by the ridiculousness of my own words. I promptly changed my prayer, "please let him be everything he needs."

I love my best friend so much, but the only way for him to be truly happy and filled with love is if he is creating it himself. I'm learning that I can't be the one to save him and if I really want him to have joy and peace I need to pray for him, not pray for myself to give it to him. With the Lord's help he can create it in his own life. I can't force it on him- I can't bring it to him or create it for him. Loving him doesn't mean being the one that will make everything better.

*quote from Bedknobs and Broomsticks

No comments: